Monday, September 27, 2010

stream of job consciousness

Longtime readers know I've never been happy with any job I've had. Some are better than others (especially in hindsight) but I've never found the perfect one. I like being creative. I like working with animals. Unfortunately, most jobs involving either of these things require a piece of paper stating that I can do them. I have no such paper. I do want to go back to school, but until I am more financially stable, it is out of the question. I don't even know what I would go for. I've had aspirations for everything from veterinary school to beauty school to a university for the science degree I never got (instead I got that one in literature).

I would just about kill to be able to do something creative for a job. I like thinking on my own, not being told exactly what to do by some corporate office 2000 miles away. I am reminded of this every single day in my real job.

Jay wants me to start writing again, which is why I've been trying to blog more. I love that he has faith in me, I just lack the discipline. I know I could put out a book if I just sat down and DID it. (I dunno if anyone would read it, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.) But that's just one example. I still make jewelry, and sometimes I model, but neither one pays the bills. I still need a place to live and food to eat, after all. (Though the extra income I get from one or both of those IS a help.)

I know the perfect job is out there, I just need to find it.

2 comments:

Working Girl said...

I would read it. I have very little in common with you, but I keep coming back to your blog. Its because you write well and your personal story is, well, timely, I think. Young, disaffected, educated, not super ambitious -- you're kind of new millenium Holden Caufield. Write.

Pea said...

I would totally read your book and would tell everyone I know to read it too. I'm in the same boat with you dear. Regret not finishing school but it turns out I don't want to do what I started college for in the first place. Money is the factor that keeps me from going back full time. You'll find something that suits you but in the mean time, listen to your Jay. He's right. Write as much as you can. Whenever you can.

# #