Tuesday, December 19, 2006

not so fond xmas memories

I’m sick. Not actually sick, but congested. The kind of congestion that makes me cough & wheeze if I take several deep breaths in a row. Luckily I don’t tend to take several deep breaths in a row unless I want to cough & wheeze. I am reminded of a time, only a few years ago, that is remembered as The Worst Xmas Ever,

I was sick then. Actually sick. I somehow managed to have Bronchitis and Strep Throat at the same time. Do you know how much fun it is to hack up a lung while your throat is on sandpaper fire? Not fun at all, in fact. But that didn’t stop me from going to the inlaws’ for xmas, including the 3-hour drive. The drive down any highway in the Central Valley (5 or 99) is boring and stupid, but it is still made worse by the fun I mentioned before.

I was ok. I was babied. I didn’t have to talk much, and people understood when I had to leave the room to spare everyone from watching me slowly die. But then as my trip progressed, everyone (except me) decided it would be best if I was put into quarantine. It does make sense, because Sister in Law was pregnant, but it pangs a little to be Quarantined on Christmas. The gifts I had brought were sprayed with Lysol. This panged a little more, so I didn’t feel bad that the Lysol-soaked wrapping paper bled and stained the white carpet. I can be quite vindictive when I’m sick.

I did try to cure myself, not just sit there & feel sorry for myself. The grand plan was to go to the local family doctor and get drugs. But when I tried that, the doctor’s office insisted that they did not take my insurance. I knew they were wrong, but my throat hurt so I couldn’t argue. When the Boyfriend tried calling my insurance, they wouldn’t release any information to him, not even a list of Fresno doctors. I still couldn’t talk, so it was no use arguing with them either. In desperation, I called my own doctor and explained the situation in my nonexistent voice. They checked my records and realized that I had had Strep before and knew the symptoms. Once again proving himself the Best Doctor Ever, Dr. K called in an rx for antibiotics and cough suppressant and I began my 10-day treatment.

Obviously the meds worked, and I eventually got better. I don’t remember much else about that time because of the illness, but I know that it was still the worst xmas ever. This is why I’m a little frightened about repeating it. This time I’ll be stuck on a plane (ok, 3 planes) instead of a car. I don’t have Dr. K anymore, or any doctor, so if I do need to go to the doctor they’d better not give me any guff about my stupid insurance.

Here’s hoping I get better before Friday morning.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon.
I got some weird flu a few Christmas's ago and spent the entire day covered in blankets shaking and coughing. Also in isolation..

Hope that cheered you up, ha,ha..

Count Mockula said...

Been there, done that. I have a marked tendency towards getting sick on holidays and school vacations. It's a real pisser, so I feel for you. Take care, drink lots of water and get plenty of rest!!

Alex Elliot said...

I think it was the Christmas that I was in 7th grade that I threw up Christmas dinner in the shower (I was trying to stop my chills) and clogged the drain. I hope you feel better soon!

super des said...

Thanks everyone. I know most people have had a sick holiday, and I hope they keep it at one only.

# #