Monday, October 23, 2006

singing the praises of the automat

If you have read any Truman Capote stories, you may have heard the phrase “let’s grab lunch at the automat.” And, unless you lived in 1940s NYC, you probably had only a vague idea of what an automat was. You may have dictionaried it or even wikipedia'd it, but if you’re anything like me, you still only had a very general idea.

The automat needs to be experienced in person.

Thanks to our Japanese friends, who dispense everything via vending machine, the automat has made a comeback in NYC. OK, so there’s one. But it’s awesome. For $2 in quarters (change machine provided) you can get a peanut butter & jelly sandwich, grilled cheese, mozzarella sticks, mac & cheese, and many other items. There are a couple of things that are $3, and one that is $10 (a t-shirt). There is a 24-hour kitchen continually refilling the empty slots with fresh food, and an attached counter where you can get drinks, french fries, or ice cream if you want real human interaction. Another counter has all the condiments you could want.

At approximately 11pm Sunday night, I made my first trip to my new favorite place. I had the grilled cheese (3 perfect triangles) and the mozzarella sticks (3 big sticks, with marinara sauce). Both could be described as hella good, though not by me because I wouldn’t use such a phrase. Definitely the best instant food one can purchase while wandering the East Village at all hours.

While hanging about eating my $4 meal, one of the nice Japanese boys working the counter offered me a large order of fries for $2 (a $6.50 value!). Some drunk kid had ordered them and wandered off before they were ready. So I indulged and bought the giant paper cone full of fries. Though tasty, it was more fries than I could ever think of finishing, even with help from 4 others. Also, the 10 buckets of salt on the fries caused all of us to stop in a nearby bar for drinks.

The fries turned out to be my downfall. I was awoken from my much-needed sleep to search for some medicine to cure the kind of upset tummy that only too much greasy food can leave. If I hadn’t given in to bargain hunter’s peer pressure, I’m sure I would have been fine. And I’m sure I won’t be offered a giant serving of French fries for 1/3 the price every time I go. Oh yes, I will go again. I may be heard uttering the phrase “let’s grab lunch at the automat” like the Capote-esque NY socialite that I am.

6 comments:

Suzanne said...

The Automat was also featured promintently in one of my fave kid's books, "From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler." Claudia and her brother (James?) eat there every day when they run away and live at the Met. What an awesome book.

You must take me there. It sounds delightful.

super des said...

Wow, someone on my myspace blog grabbed that book too. I wish I'd read it, then I would have associated it with the automat as well.

SUEB0B said...

FUN!!!

How is it possible that Suzanne and I had one of the same favorite books as children? I always wanted to run away and live at the Met after that. Collect coins from the fountain and go to the automat.

Suzanne said...

Classics are classics. It's one of my friend Steph's fave books also. Des, I may have a copy to lend you. I'll look around.

Count Mockula said...

Me too, me too! I loved that book!!!

super des said...

man, where was I when y'all were reading this book?

# #