Tuesday, June 17, 2008

des FAQ

Hi folks,
Because I've been soooooo busy at work lately (read: I'm not comfortable enough to blog at work yet - but give it time!) I haven't had much to say. So Good Friend Ernie gave me some burning questions for your reading enjoyment. I think they're pretty good, and I'm not just saying that because they were clearly written for me.


1. What exactly is your beef with capital letters? :) You have excellent spelling and grammar, so I'm curious why you don't capitalize your name.

You know, I used to have a reason. It might not be a very good one. I like using capital letters for emphasis (see Ernie's name above). My name doesn't need any emphasis. I don't even like capitalizing the first word in a sentence, but you'd be surprised at how low people's opinion of you gets when all they know of you is via text and your "bad" grammar. Oh but I do like making capital I because little i is easily overlooked, even when bold.

But thank you for noticing this and my skillz.

2. Favorite Asimov book? Why?

Ummmm I like "I, Robot." It's a bunch of short stories all tied together within a larger frame, and they're all about "rogue" or "freak" robots. And it's nothing like the movie, which is actually based on a different Asimov book - "The Robots of Dawn."
I also like... all of them... because they are all very interesting. When I read my favorite author, I am inspired to go write and create great things like him. Of course, I haven't created anything yet, but I will. Someday. Also, Isaac Asimov was a real scientist, writing textbooks and stuff, so that makes the science fiction extra super. Plus, you know, robots.

3. You've lived on both coasts and in the Midwest. Which did/do you like best, and why? Also: before you moved there, did you think all Midwesterners were inbred wheat farmers? If so, has your opinion changed since moving there?

Technically, yes, NYC is on the East Coast, but from my understanding it is nothing like Boston or Maine or the Carolinas. NYC is it's own entity. I enjoyed my time there a lot, though there were some things about big city livin I didn't like... for example being able to hop in your car, drive for 2 hours, and be in the middle of the woods. (Yes, I know it's possible to do that in NYC, but I didn't have a car because it was too expensive - so it was a much bigger hassle than elsewhere.)

One thing I heart about CA is that you can drive a coupla hours in any direction and be in mountains, desert, a redwood forest, a giant city, the beach, or somewhere else completely different. Also all my family and a lot of my friends live there. It will always be my home.

As for the Midwest, I'm getting used to it. People still kinda react to things like dyed hair, tattoos, vegetarianism, etc, but no more than certain towns in CA. I've spent more time trying to convince people that CA and NY are weird rather than acclimate to the Midwest. This is because Midwesterners are the people in sitcoms that I grew up with. People are normal here, which is a bit of an oxymoron since it's not "normal" for me. It's hard for Californians and especially NYers to realize that there is more to the country, and that it is America. California and New York are separate countries. But I like them.

Michigan wins for cheapest cost of living though.

4. How long have you been a vegetarian, and how many times a month do you have to explain that fish aren't vegetables?

I've been an herbivore since I was 18. I had the inkling while I was still in high school, but when you're not in full charge of providing your own food, it's hard to be picky. My mom tried, bless her heart, but didn't get why I was against something like "oyster sauce" in my veggies. When I moved away to college, I went a little crazy and did that whole vegan thing for several years. Then I realized my life would be so much easier if I could eat things I didn't have to make myself. So now I'm not vegan anymore.

I don't have to explain the whole fish thing too often here. I don't know if it's because Michiganders are surprisingly knowledgeable about what constitutes an animal vs. a vegetable (hint: nervous system), or because I don't hang out with new people all that often so everyone already knows my rules. Also, I have a very carnivorous boyfriend that will "help" me eat some things.

5. What was the happiest moment of your life?

Seriously? Like when my daughter was born? Too bad I've never had a daughter. (Or a son, for that matter.) I don't know if I can narrow it down. I've had some good times. There was the time in high school when I won tickets to a Tori Amos / Alanis Morissette concert (for some reason that was better than being told I was validvictorian). It was pretty awesome when my BFF asked me to be her maid of honor. My first kiss with Jay was pretty frickin sweet. I'm sure there were more too, but I try not to focus on "the moment," Either I'm having the best or worst moment of my life every second.

That's a hard question. Maybe I'm just too lazy to put real thought into it.


And now, legal stuff:

If you'd like to play along, please follow these instructions.

1. Leave me a comment saying "interview me."
2. I will respond by e-mailing you five questions. I get to pick the questions.
3. You will update your blog (so you have to have a blog) with a post containing your answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions




* Jay thought of the name of this blog, btw.




ps - please forgive any comments on this blog that are not published in a timely manner. Blogger has decided not to tell me anymore when one of you nice people wants to tell me something.

10 comments:

LittlePea said...

I always had a "normal" picture of Midwesterners. I thought it was us Southerners that were supposed to be inbred. I used to live in San Jose, Ca. I totally heart California.


Interview me, if ya want.

super des said...

oh, Pea. Since the south is the only place I've never lived, I assume they *are* inbred.
ha ha ha ha


And I'll send you some questions. Just remind me if I let it slip too long.

Dee said...

I've lived in Memphis, TN for all my life before I moved to the booming metropolis of Ypsilanti, MI in 2006. I can assure you that 1) indeed, we are all inbred in the South and 2) Midwesterners are far, far from normal. But they're abnormal in different ways than my friends and family (for whom the family tree doesn't fork much and doubles back on itself once in a while).

Interview me!

Dee

super des said...

ha ha, I can see why you would get out of there!

Same goes. I'll interview you, but you may have to remind me.
:)

SUEB0B said...

Interview me!

suebobdavisATyah...etc

super des said...

Jeez, what have I gotten myself into?

mar said...

i need to take my mind off flooding & something else to post about.
interview me!! :P

super des said...

so... I should not ask about flooding?

mar said...

naw, that's okay. it doesn't really bother me 'cause i'm fine & dry.

Jbeeky said...

Interview me, lady!

# #