Tuesday, May 22, 2007

best possible lucky outcome

I may have mentioned* the other day that I had to cover for the receptionist again. Well, after emailing both Office Manager and President and telling them that I was too busy to do it (and being completely ignored by both) I had to do it today. R was supposed to come in at a certain time, and I was covering the last time slot. So of course I had a not-totally-unrealistic-and-irrational fear that R would come in later than she said or not at all, leaving me to play receptionist all damn day. Well it actually worked out that she came in a bit earlier than she said, and was nice (!) to me. I only had to do nothing for a little over an hour.

I've had a sore throat for the past few days. I don't know if it's a cold or allergies or both, but I hate it. Luckily the phone didn't ring that much so I was able to spare my poor throat. AND they had the internet working at R's desk so I was able to sneak the occasional peek at my email. Once one of the non-receptionist-covering guys walked by and asked if I was comfy. I said "no, we should trade places" and he laughed a laugh that said "but I'm a guy - I'll never have to play receptionist, and I know it." That flared up my anger a bit, but it also gives me something to complain about next time.

I'm not saying I want to take over for R full time (for the 2 months that I have left, anyway), but if I have to do it again, and I'm sure I will, I hope it is like today.



* And by "mentioned", of course I really mean "threw a screaming fit."

9 comments:

Brillig said...

Grrrrrrr... I'm still mad that they made you cover for her anyway, and I'm mad at the stupid guy who knew that because of his gender he'd never have to fill in--and found it funny. I'm glad it went as well as it did, but I'm still mad...

super des said...

Yeah that guy sucks, In fact, I'm mentioning his name specifically next time. "des, we need you to cover for R." "Why can't Crappy Guy do it?"

It won't do any good, but it'll reinforce my complaints.

Sugar Kane said...

It blows my mind that the 'but that's chick work' line still works! Apparently you are working in 1957. What an asshole.

super des said...

I still say that if it's the 50s, I should be at home vacuuming while wearing pearls and drinking a martini.

LittlePea said...

Don't forget that you should be vacuuming in high heels that match the pearls!

super des said...

Well that's a given!

Anonymous said...

(Lurker here. Hihowareya!)

I used to work in an office like that - only females asked to cover the receptionist's desk. I finally asked the powers that be with complete innocence what kind of antique telephone system this was that it was only operational within 3 feet of a vagina. They never asked me to pull phone duty again. I'm not sure if it was because I spoke up, or if it was because I used the word "vagina" to the menfolk. It worked, anyway!

super des said...

Hi DangerDoll!

That's a good idea. I don't need to use the word "men"....

karrie said...

Gotta love gender based inequality in the workforce.

You should say that Crappy Guy wants to cover for the receptionist. After all, he was very interested.

# #