Friday, August 13, 2010

ad psychology

Since I spend my days at work hanging signs, I naturally spend a lot of time looking at the pictures ON the signs. I noticed something this morning. The store (or the modeling agency that the store hired) features models from every age, race, etc.* and a lot of men with what we're supposed to assume are their children. Every single one of the men in pictures with children feature a prominent wedding ring. They are posed in such a way that you always see their left hand, whether it be holding the child, or near their face, or whatever, but it's always there.

I'm not sure if this is to convey a more family friendly message, like "there's no way this stylish young man is sleeping around and irresponsible - he's married and that is his child with his wife. Both of whom he loves very much." Or the fact that women (the primary shoppers and thus the main focus of the ads) are more attracted to a man with a ring. "There must be something good about him, because someone claimed him as her own! I WANT HIM! But I'll settle for that sweater vest, because it looks so good on him, it's bound to look good on that slob I call my boyfriend."

I had a lot more to say on the matter (and did have a whole conversation about it in my head), but that was at 4am and ironically I was more rational then.

I just thought it was interesting to note.




*There are no models with visible tattoos, but that's just about every ad campaign out there. I'm trying to change that, I just need to be featured in some ads. :P

No comments:

# #