Friday, December 12, 2008

des bares her soul

So, you may be wondering what's on my mind lately. Well... moving. Jay hasn't had a job in about 9 or 10 months, and of the 11 months I've lived here, I was only employed for 3 of them. We need to get out of Michigan. But how do we do that when we have no money?

Our semi-formed plan is to find a generous friend or family member that will take us in (including the cat & dog) for a few months while we both find jobs and save up to move out on our own again and return to some form of normalcy. So wherever we end up will need a good job market and affordable rent (preferably on houses instead of apartments). And should be a pretty cool place, since we'll most likely be there for a while.

Have I mentioned that I hate moving? And I hate moving long distance? Here's my history: Grew up in Eureka, moved to Fresno, then to Davis (Sacramento). Then left CA completely to go to NYC. Then from there to Detroit. From Detroit to where?

I'd like to live in the CA bay area, but too expensive. Sacramento is nice, a little more affordable, but all my friends there have small children and would be just a little inconvenienced if we pushed ourselves on them. Eureka we'd have somewhere to stay (with my parents) but I really don't want to live there. North Carolina might have a coupla options, but being completely selfish, I don't want to start over somewhere completely new, yet again. NYC - too expensive and not necessarily big-dog friendly.

So you see the dilemma. I'll admit that I really hate not being in control of this part of my life. I know we'll be ok, but I'm scared. And I hate moving.

8 comments:

mar said...

it'll be okay. something will come up. this is just a sucky time all around for jobs.
iowa city's not exactly cheap living or i'd suggest it.

LittlePea said...

I hate moving too. I'm so on that with you dear. Don't worry.

Well the cost of living in my part Fl is reasonable, but, there are very little good paying jobs here. I've lived in San Jose which is not far at all from SanFran and oh good lord yes it is so expensive. We rented a one bedroom place for 2200 dollars a month. And this was ten years ago. If you are open to NC, I've heard that Charlotte is a decent place to live. But yes, you'd have to start all over again. I don't know about the job market there. This economy is like the damn Titanic, the ship is sinking and all the lifeboats are reserved for the rich....we just have to try to stay afloat until it gets better.

It's very scary but I'm sure everything will be fine. You'll end up exactly where you need to be.

Count Mockula said...

Sacramento is actually probably a good choice. We have no space, or I'd offer up our place. Still, I'd love to see you settle here.

super des said...

Yea, Count, you're one of those friends with small children. Strangely enough, Monkeygirl also voted for Sactown...

I would like to go home to Sac. Maybe if there were some way.

super des said...

And thanks Pea & Mar. <3

Suzanne said...

I know you hate moving, but I am glad that you are thinking about it. I don't think that the job market will improve in your area any time soon.

Jbeeky said...

Sending some good moving vibes your way, wherever you go I know you will make it amazing CUZ YOU ARE DES.

super des said...

awww thanks J. :)

# #