Friday, June 09, 2006

Eddie Murphy

Eddie Murphy is funny. I'm not just talking about Gumby or Mr. Robinson on Saturday Night Live, or movies like Trading Places or Coming to America. I mean his music.

Many of you may not be aware that ol' Ed had a musical career. More likely, you are aware of it but publicly claim ignorance of songs like "Party all the Time" and my personal favorite, "Boogie in Your Butt."

I don't think Ed was making a comedy album (please God, please say there is only the one) on purpose. But I'll be darned if that's not one of the funniest things I've ever heard. Here's my vision of what occurred back in 1985:

Greasy, fat, Hollywood agent (with slicked-back hair, sunglasses, and a cigar): Eddie, baby, you're a big star. Your movies are a hit, your stand-up is booming, and you might be on the way to your own sitcom. The next logical step is music. Triple threat! Baby, you'll make a mint!

Ed: Yes. Yes I will. That's a great idea. The best I've ever heard. The world loves me, and nothing I could do would scare away my fans! I'll do it! I'll call my buddy Rick James, who is also a big star...

And so history was made.

Did Ed have any idea that "Party" would not be the hit he envisioned? Rather, it was quite the flop, eventually making the top 10 in a list of worst songs ever recorded. That's gotta hurt (pronounced hoy-t).

How does Ed feel about this album? Does he admit he made a mistake? (Though of course he's not the only one to ever make this particular mistake.) Or does he have a shrine to this album, and continues to defend it vehemently, as he will until the grave? Does he cringe when people mention it? Does he cry at night when even now, 21 years later, people are writing blogs to remind other people about how unintentionally funny it is to hear one of these songs on the radio?

I want Ed's feedback on this.


For Wikipedia's amusing but honest summary of his singing career (and more), click here.

No comments:

# #