Wednesday, May 24, 2006

stickin' with Mr. Softee

After my uneventful trip to the dentist which I sacrificed half a day of work for, I decided to take the long way to meet Craig (i.e. walking instead of the subway). While walking on this beautiful sunny-72-degree-day, I decided I needed some Mr. Softee.

I had no idea what Mr. Softee was before I moved to NY, so I will kindly explain it. It is an ice cream truck that serves soft-serve ice cream*. You can get a chocolate cone for $2. There are other things too, but I stick with that one. Which brings me to the point of this blog.

I have never had to wait for Mr. Softee before. But today, I had to stand amidst a group of girls who had no idea what they were doing. What are you gonna get? I don't know, I might get a chocolate shake. What did you get? I got a chocolate shake. There were 8 of them, and they all had $20 bills, and they all sat around discussing what everyone else got before they all got chocolate shakes. One at a time. So I had to wait for each one to weigh her options, decide on a chocolate shake, and pay with a twenty for a $3.50 treat. And, instead of leaving after getting their chocolate shakes, they stayed in a big group in front of the window, in front of me, and all of the other people that began to congregate, demanding their Mr. Softee.

This gave me time to think. Actually, they brainwashed me. Maybe I should get a chocolate shake too. NO! What am I, crazy? I want a damn chocolate cone! I have my paper dollar and my 4 quarters, I am ready for my $2 treat.

When I like something, I stick with it. I guess you could say I'm a "don't fix it if it ain't broke" kinda gal. I'm not afraid to try new things; I try new things all the time. But when I find something I like, I don't bother to keep trying. I become completely dependent on this thing that I like, and then when it is no longer abailable I cry and cry.

For example, I do this in restaurants. That was good. I'll have that again. Have you ever tried this? No thank you. I have this. (And yes, I did that tonight at dinner.)

I've forgotten why I started wrting this.... The movie Dodgeball is on and I find that very distracting.

Um... I love chocolate cones from Mr. Softee.




*There is also an elusive "Captain Softee" which I've only seen on a few occasions and have never had the pleasure. The only difference I can see is that the Captain has a neon-cardboard sign, while Mr. has only the plain-jane white. Craig argues, however, that this is a trained military professional, and thus the quality of the product will be better.

No comments:

# #