Wednesday, April 12, 2006

I've added the 90s station to my XM radio repertoire at work. I find it hilarious.

First I heard "No Rain" by Blind Melon. I like this song. I was remembering when Shannon Hoon died, and the same day Comedy Central just happened to play the rerun of SNL when Blind Melon was on. I think it was a coincidence, and if not then I'm the only one that noticed. It was very funny (the band, not the show - though the show may have been good as well) because Mr. Hoon was very obviously on heroin during filming, and kept trying to trip out the camera & the other band members. He just came off looking like he lived in his own bubble, as heroin addicts tend to do.

Then I heard "All For Love" by Color Me Badd. I listened to it because I knew it was lame but I hadn't heard it in so many years. I laughed and laughed. I recalled a friend I had that told me a whopper about how she met CMB & drove around LA in their convertible. I felt sorry for her trying to impress me, a younger girl, with stories of how a lame band was full of perverts picking up 14 year olds. I secretly envied her though, even while I knew it was not true.

Next song was "Good Vibrations" by Marky Mark. Remember when Mark Wahlberg was a rapper? Me either. Heres a verse that I found particularly amusing. So much so that I had to look up the lyrics.

Donnie D's on the back upDrug free, so put the crack up
No need for speed
I'm the anti D-R-U-G-G-I-E
my Body is healthy
My rhymes make me wealthy
And the Funky Bunch helps me
To bring you a show with no intoxication
Come on feel the vibration


Now that's good writing. Today's rappers could learn from Marky Mark. No drugs, and shout out to his brother, who used to be a New Kid.

So the 90s station is full of amusing memories for me. Apparently nothing bad happened to me during this decade. Or if so, I've repressed the memories deep deep down, to be brought out only when a certain song is played. If I start suddenly bawling at work, you all will know why.

No comments:

# #